“Success doesn’t come from what you do occasionally, it comes from what you do consistently.”
Simplest meaning of consistency is to “remain constant or to remain steady”. But if we properly understand the word consistent, then it becomes the act of self-regulation that can keep the mind very flexible to accept the right signals from ether.
Here, the word ether is used because the space is full of vibrations where every kind of thought is available free. It is only needing a right frequency to connect in the right time.
Consistency is nothing less than a magic. Consistent people always sees or feels positive changes in their results. That day is not very far when you will become an expert of your field of interest, if you are consistent.
Consistency is a helpful key to change your beliefs. If you are consistent, then people will admire you, people will start to believe your work. They will get attracted to your daily attempts and may become confident towards you.
But do you know that consistency is the result of “boring and dedicated” hard work. It takes a strong will power to motivate yourself to do the same thing again and again, it is due to the fact that our brain makes us to feel that one day of cheating(of your work) does not make any significant change in our consistency or routine.
We have to fight with our own brain cells to tackle that feeling of cheating (which is our desire of pleasure). We may need to modify the routine by added knowledge. The repletion of nature does not necessary mean repetition of same action but hiding a secret within yourself that can keep your mind fresh and always on alert mode.
In this blog, we will discuss some of the interesting facts about Power of consistency, Why we can’t maintain consistency? and Some small steps to achieve that consistency in your work.
Power of Consistency
If you see the world around you and check the nature of successful people, you will find consistency as one common thing in all of them. They had more powerful desire or will power than their brain (unstable brain).
Below are some of the positive changes that you will realize after consistent efforts:
- Consistency is like compound interest : If you do apply it every time, it helps you to grow more in magnitude.
- Improves the ability of Time management : After consistent efforts you will learn how much time you have to apply to do a particular thing. This leads to good time management.
- Improves Self Discipline and Self-Confidence : If you stick to your routine and remain consistent for a long period of time, you will gain more control over yourself and you would not procrastinate your work.
- Easy to make New Habit : It is natural for our brain to adopt new things in the future very easily if it is trained in the past. This default tendency of our brain helps us to learn new things quickly, that is how human became smarter and smarter with time period as compared to other animals.
- Less Distraction and More clarity : When you are consistent in your work, you are less likely to be distracted by the things around you. It is because your mind has adapted to do the same work daily.
Difficulty to achieve Consistency
Now we have talked a lot about the power of consistency, but now it’s time to talk about some difficulty to achieve consistency. Because if “we don’t know the cause of the disease then how can we cure that disease”.
- Seems Boring Lifestyle : In initial days you will become bored with your task in less 30 minutes but you have to stay with your plan and a lot of will power is required to complete it.
- Over dependence on Motivation : Motivation is indeed necessary to get us up and moving when we were in a halt. But once the wheels of your car start rolling and you gain momentum of two or three days, you should no longer depend on the motivation.
- Lack of control : You need to contain your urges, try to focus on your goal, detach yourself from the things which prove to be hindrances, like excessive use WhatsApp, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.
- Lack of interest : Occasionally you will loose interest in your work in your initial days, but continuous efforts will automatically bring interest to you.
- Loose Hope : After some period, you will notice that you are not getting the desired results, at that time you will start questioning yourself and your efforts and ultimately loose hope. So, the key to tackle this situation is to relax for few hours or days and think about what you have achieved.
- Over Expectation : This is the most common mistake which we all make. We all expect very big for us in a very small time. And when we see that results are not coming as per our expectation, we leave that job incomplete.
- Pleasure VS Hard work : Somewhere in your journey to your success, you will get tempted by the pleasures. They are the sharp stones in your path, you have to take care of them and focus on your goal.
- Procrastination : Leave your laziness aside and start working from the moment you think of doing some work. If you screw procrastination in first few weeks, it will not disturb you in the future.
If you have any doubt about how to deal with procrastination or how to make a habit then you can check our article or how to stay focused and how to become productive, then you must visit our previous blogs.
Now we have talked a lot about the power of consistency and why consistency is a difficult process, so there are some small steps by which you can be consistent in your routine.
Steps to Achieve Consistency
1. Pick a target : ” A person without an aim is just like a ship without a radar“. So the first thing we need is to pick a target on which we want to become consistent. If you have a definite target then your brain regularly reminds you about your commitment.
2. Clear vision : Keep your eye on your “Why”. Many people ignore this because they do not have any proper goal and they don’t know how to execute their plan.
Having a clear vision helps you to concentrate on your work and keeps away the worthless distraction from you. Always ask yourself 3 questions to stay self-motivated – Why am I doing this? Is this work beneficial for me? Can I learn something from this?
3. Begin with a small step : It’s like running in a marathon. You have to start running slowly and steadily, and then you have to increase your pace as the end point nears.
So always start with small steps and do not make a big commitment in the beginning. To become consistent in any work you require motivation, which always comes from fulfillment. For beginners, success in small things is better than failure in big things.
4. Pick one thing at a time : Don’t run for too many things, make sure that you expertise one particular thing at once. A common mistake is committed by most of the people, they try to learn too many things at single time and end up getting confused and tired between all of them.
5. Schedule your priorities : A famous quote by Steven Covey – “Don’t prioritize your schedule, schedule your priorities “. Always make a to do list or priority list by the night of the previous day to follow up in the next day so that you can follow your aim.
6. Don’t listen to your brain : Many instances will come when your brain will force you to stop or break your consistency, it is due to the fact that our brain gets attracted towards the pleasure.
You have to manipulate your brain by intimidating it, or you can use some secret quotes and words like “Shut up! If I am not successful, you will not make a difference. The difference will be to me.”
7. Don’t skip a day : Remember that “skipping a day at work is not the last day of your laziness, it is the first day of not completing your job.” So, stick to your plan of completing the job on daily basis otherwise you will be left with tons of regret.
8. Make a to-do list and stick on the Wall : This method proved to be quiet helpful for many people and this is the most practical way to fight your brain without using your much will power and it also strengthens your quality of working hour.
9. Enjoy your failure and learn from it and continue the work : This is the thing which happens with every people – ‘failure’. But the difference is that some learn from their mistake and carry on their work and some people break the commitment and continue to curse themselve.
Think of a small kid who is trying to walk for the first time. He will make mistakes while stepping but it won’t stop him to try walking.
10. Find your weaknesses : If you can’t maintain your routine or can’t be consistent on your commitment, then the first thing what you have to do is to find your weaknesses.
Why you can’t maintain your consistency? Is there any problem in your lifestyle? Or, you can’t manage your time ? When you get the proper answer of these questions, then without wasting any time start working on your weaknesses and try to solve it as soon as possible.
11. Rewards : It is the newest technique in practice which encourages your brain to work more. As I mentioned earlier, our brain runs for pleasure. So, in this method you have to reward yourself after completing a task, and this reward should provide pleasure to your brain. Here, reward works as a bait to your brain.
12. Stop blaming others : Your life does not depends on others, it is your responsibility, and your decisions are results of your brain. Blaming others does not change the outcome, whether good or bad. You have to own your failures and you have to find the solutions to them. It is the ultimate factor to improve yourself.
Thank you for reading this article,